Writing Competition allows the students to have the opportunity to share their thoughts and opinions concerning the issue occur regarding humanity through argumentative essay. The essay will be assigned through online and on-the-spot submission. Through writing competition, students are expected to be more sensitive of the current problems within the society and able to find the right solution to overcome the problems.
Main Theme: Enhancing Global Generations’ Intercultural Literacy for Better Humanity
Sub Theme: Developing Tolerance of the Global Generation Through Intercultural Literacy in the Era of Industry 4.0
Topic Preliminary Round:
- Does education have a significant role in establishing intercultural literacy of young generation?
- Does technology actively contribute to the development of tolerance for intercultural understanding?
- Does the tolerance of diversity in the millennial era converse proper assurance for humanity?
- Should or shouldn’t intercultural literacy be applied to the curriculum for young learners to develop their sense of humanity?
- Does technology support intercultural literacy development for young learners?
TIME AND PLACE
- Online Submission: 2–4 November 2019
- Announcement for Final Round: 12 November 2019
- Offline Final Round: 16 November 2019
- Place (Final Round): Faculty of Languages and Arts, State University of Surabaya
RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF PARTICIPANTS
- The competition is available for active university students (S1/D3) in East Java and its environs.
- Class of 2019 English Department of State University of Surabaya must send at least 2 representations of each class to join the competition.
- Participants who does not submit the essay on the submission date will be considered withdrawing themselves from the competition (the registration fee cannot be refunded).
- There will be two rounds within the competitions:
- Preliminary Round (Online)
- Final Round (Offline)
- In preliminary round, the participants may choose one of the topics given and submit their essay through English Week email account.
- Ten best essays will be chosen from the whole submission, and the participants are expected to come to State University of Surabaya to join the final round.
A. ONLINE SUBMISSION FORMAT
- Submitted essay must be in the form of Argumentative Essay.
- Submitted file must include your registration number only. Do not include your name in the body of the essay.
- Font style & size : Times New Roman 14
- Paper size : A4
- Font style & size : Times New Roman 12
- Space : 1.5
- Margin : Normal
- Essay should contain 800-900 words.
- Save the file with REGISTRATION NUMBER_AFILIATION_CODE OF THE CHOSEN TOPIC as the file name. (e.g. 0001_UNESA_03)
- Send the essay to firstname.lastname@example.org with NAME – AFFILIATION -REGISTRATION NUMBER as the email subject. (e.g. ALVIN NURIL – UNESA – 0001)
- Essay should not contain any plagiarism, excessive ethnicity, race violence, and religious involvement.
- Essays will be scored based on:
- Organization of ideas
- Logical of ideas
- Spelling and mechanic
- Style and quality of expression
- Ten best essays will be announced on English Week website and Instagram account. The writers selected are expected to come to State University of Surabaya to join the final round.
B. FINAL ROUND
- Participant is expected to come at least 30 minutes before the competition starts to complete the registration.
- The registration will be opened at 7:00 a.m. – 7:30 a.m., and cannot be represented by anyone else.
- All participants have to complete the registration as the requirement to enter the competition room. The participant who has not completed the registration is not allowed to enter.
- The final round will be started at 8:00 a.m.
- Participant who comes late is still allowed to join the competition without any additional time.
- Participants must wear an ID card during the competition that will be given on the registration.
- Participants must wear their university uniform.
- Participants must obey every rule of English Week XXIV competitions.
- Essay writing starts as soon as the committee gives the instruction.
- Participants are given 120 minutes to write their essay.
- Participants have to use the computer provided by the committees.
- Participants are only allowed to bring a pen to the room (blank papers are provided by the committees).
- Any form of communication and/or discussion during the competition is prohibited.
- Participant who disobeys the rules of Writing Competition English Week XXIV will be disqualified.
- Participants may submit the essay before the given time but may not leave the room.
- All submitted essays become the property of English Week XXIV.
- Essays will be scored based on:
- Logical decision of ideas
- Spelling and Mechanic
- Style and Quality of expression.
- The decision of the judges is final and CANNOT be changed.
- The winner will be announced in English Week Carnival (19 November 2019)
- ID card
- Mineral water
- First Winner : Trophy + Certificate +Merchandise + IDR. 1.000.000,-
- Second Winner : Trophy + Certificate +Merchandise + IDR. 750.000,-
- Third Winner : Trophy + Certificate +Merchandise + IDR. 500.000,-
- Top 10 : Top 10 Certificate + Merchandise
- Make sure all the registrants’ names written in the registration form are correct (full name) according to the name written on the students’ ID card.
- The submitted name CANNOT be changed. Any kinds of misspelling / writing errors are not the responsibility of committee.
- The name written on the certificate is according to the one written in the registration form. Once again, the committee will not be responsible if the participant’s name written on the certificate turns out to be wrong.
- Any revision of the submitted data is acceptable MAXIMUM on 31 October 2019. Participants may contact the following number regarding the issue: Anita Valeri Regita (0895388131187)
- The committee WILL NOT accepts any revision regarding the participants’ data and/or the certificate on the day of the competition.